Transfer Student Admissions

What Is a Transfer Student?

Students who have previously enrolled in a university or college are considered transfer students. Generally, transfer students must have a minimum of 26 credits to apply (the equivalent of one year of study).  

When Can a Transfer Student Enter the University?

Most transfer students are admitted for the Fall term, which begins in September each year. Some majors also admit transfer students in the Spring term, which begins in mid-January. March 1 is the application deadline for most programs that start in the Fall; October 1 is the Spring deadline. Deadlines can vary, however, so check the admissions website for the deadline for your program.

How Does the University Make Admissions Decisions?

Each academic department or program makes transfer admissions decisions independently; therefore, criteria and requirements vary. Admission to the University is competitive, and the most successful applicants show strong academic preparation, especially in courses related to their intended major.

The University considers applicants based primarily on their academic records, although we consider a number of secondary factors when making admissions decisions. Learn more about primary and secondary admissions criteria.

Most majors will have a list of prerequisite courses that successful transfer students will have completed before entering the University.

Are There Scholarships for International Transfer Students?

All international transfer students are automatically considered for the Global Excellence Scholarship (a merit-based scholarship for international students). There are also various scholarships awarded to international students based on financial need, academic merit, and educational goals.

What Credits and Grades Will the U of M Accept?

Students must have earned a C or better in a course for the credit to transfer; however, students with a minimum overall grade point average of a D are eligible to transfer. The U of M does not accept credits from institutions that offer vocational or highly specialized courses, such as industry-based education programs. The U of M also does not accept remedial, developmental, and ESL courses as university level, transferable courses.

There’s no absolute limit to the number of credits that can be transferred to the U of M. However, regardless of the number of transferable credits, a student must take a minimum of 30 semester credits at the U of M in order to complete a degree, including 24 credits taken after admission to the student’s major or program.

What Are the English Language Requirements?

Proof of English language proficiency is required for non-native speakers. We currently accept the following minimum test scores: IELTS (6.5), internet-based TOEFL (79/550), MELAB (80), PTE Academic (59), and Cambridge English: Advanced (180).  Transfer applicants who have successfully completed at least 26 or more transferable semester credits at a college or university in the United States, or in a country where English is the first official language, may not be required to submit English proficiency exam scores.  For more information on English proficiency requirements, please visit the Admissions page.       

How Can I Apply?

To apply for admission, you will need to submit the following items:

  • Application form (either the Transfer Golden Gopher Application or the Common Application)
  • $55 application fee
  • English language proficiency test score
  • Secondary school transcript(s) if an applicant has fewer than 26 credits or one year of higher education completed
  • College or university transcript(s)
  • SAT and/or ACT test results—preferred but not required
  • An English translation for all documents not issued in English

If admitted:

  • You will receive notification via email and postal mail
  • To confirm your enrollment, you must submit an enrollment confirmation fee and financial certification statement before you receive your I-20 document

To view detailed information on the components of a complete application, see the Office of Admissions.

How Can I Get More Information?