There are many things to do on campus but sometimes, staying on campus for too long might get stressful. During the weekends, I like to get out of the campus and explore Twin Cities. Twin Cities offer a wide variety of activities from shopping to windsurfing (yes, you can windsurf in Minnesota). University of Minnesota’s location is great and most of the attractions are accessible by public transportation. They are only a few stops away from the campus. Here are my favorite places to go in Twin Cities:
- Target Center: Home of Minnesota Timberwolves. It is located right at the heart of Minneapolis, in downtown Minneapolis. I love to attend NBA games. Tickets are cheap if you buy them online. Every home game on Wednesday is college night.
- The Lakes: Minneapolis is also known as the City of Lakes. My favorites are Lake Calhoun, Lake Harriet and Lake of the Isles.
They are very close to each other and accessible by bus. It is very nice and peaceful to enjoy the fresh air and summer sunset while walking around the lakes. You can also try water sports like kayaking. You can even windsurf!
- Stone Arch Bridge: only 10 minutes away from the campus. It is perfect for running and walking. You can walk along the Mississippi River and see St. Anthony Falls. Cross the Stone Arch Bridge and you will find yourself in downtown Minneapolis.
- St. Anthony Main Theater: closest movie theater to the U. I like going there to keep up to date with the latest blockbusters. Tickets are usually cheaper than other movie theatres. It has a historic ambiance and a nice view of downtown Minneapolis.
- Mall of America: one of the biggest malls in the United States. You might end up spending the whole day at the mall. Not to mention, it also has an indoor amusement park.